Do you want whiter teeth? Gradual yellowing of teeth tends to happen over time, leaving your smile looking a little dull. If you’ve noticed that your smile doesn’t look very white in pictures or in the mirror, you might consider trying a teeth whitening treatment.
There are many different types of teeth whitening products available. They all come at different prices and provide varying degrees of success. Professional teeth whitening treatments are by far the most effective, which is why they generally cost more than over the counter whitening products. Before you consider paying for professional teeth whitening, you may wonder how long it will last and whether or not it is worth the cost. Here’s what you can expect.
In-Office Professional Whitening Treatment
The most effective way to whiten your teeth is professional teeth whitening treatment applied by your dentist in the office. The results of this type of treatment can last between 1 and 3 years.
In-office teeth whitening involves the following process:
- The gum tissue is protected from the effects of the bleaching gel.
- The whitening gel is applied to the teeth.
- A laser light is applied to the teeth to accelerate the whitening process.
This procedure is repeated as many times as necessary to achieve the desired shade.
Take Home Professional Whitening Treatment
Many dentists offer a take home teeth whitening treatment option. Custom trays are designed to fit your teeth so that you can apply the whitening gel at home. Take home whitening treatment results last for about a year.
Take home teeth whitening involves the following process:
- Apply a drop of bleaching gel to the mouth tray.
- Place the mouth tray over your teeth.
- Leave the tray in place for the instructed amount of time according to the type and strength of the gel you are using.
- After you remove the tray, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Rinse the tray with cold water.
Repeat this procedure every day or night for two weeks or according to your dentist’s instructions.
Combine In-Office and Take Home Treatment for Longer Lasting Results
In-office whitening treatment offers dramatic, almost immediate results. You will leave the office with a whiter smile in just one appointment. These results may last for as long as 3 years, but your teeth may gradually yellow within that time. Rather than starting all over with another in-office treatment, you can use the take home trays to whiten your teeth as needed to keep them looking whiter for longer.
How to Help Your Teeth Whiter for Longer
After you see your amazing results, you want your teeth to stay white. Here are some tips for keeping your teeth white for as long as possible after your treatment.
- Avoid coffee and tea.
- Avoid red wine and dark fruit juice.
- Avoid dark chocolate and red or brown sauces.
- Avoid food and drinks with artificial dyes.
What you eat or drink in the first 48 hours after your whitening treatment is the most important. If you can’t avoid the above items permanently, try to avoid them for the first few days after your treatment.
Oral hygiene is an important part of keeping your teeth white. Keep your teeth clean and bright between whitening treatments by doing the following:
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss your teeth once a day.
- Rinse with mouthwash once a day.
- Use whitening toothpaste and mouthwash.
- Use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth if needed after your whitening treatment.
Dr. Laurie A. Rosato Provides Effective Teeth Whitening Treatment
If you want whiter teeth, get dramatic, same-day results with in-office teeth whitening treatment at Dr. Laurie A. Rosato’s office. We provide both in-office and take home whitening so that you can choose your preferred option. If you receive in-office treatment, you can also use the take home treatment to help your teeth stay white for a longer time.