Dental Exams in Concord
Our office provides comprehensive dental exams in Concord, NH. Call 603-228-9276 to schedule a dental appointment.
The dental examination is a diagnostic evaluation of a patient’s overall oral health and hygiene.
During a dental examination, the doctor or hygienist may…
- check for signs of decay or periodontal disease
- ask about any medications
- take dental x-rays
- evaluate occlusion (bite)
- evaluate jaw
- discuss proper cleaning
- remove stains or debris
- take a dental impression
The doctor or hygienist may also perform an oral cancer exam. This involves feeling around the cheeks, gums, and tongue, under the jaw, and the sides of the neck for signs of oral cancer.
Benefits of Regular Dental Examinations
Visiting the dentist regularly for dental examinations is one of the best steps you can take to ensure you have a high level of good oral health. And everyone can benefit from it.
- Catch dental issues early. For instance, small cavities can easily turn into a decayed tooth that requires root canal treatment if left untreated. Caught early, this can be avoided.
- Learn about proper hygiene techniques to boost your oral health.
- Maintain a healthy smile - and fresh breath, too.
- Early cancer detection can save your life.
- Increased level of self-confidence.
- Reduce the incidence of future dental issues. By keeping a mouth healthy and addressing any concerns early on, future dental issues can be avoided.
- Save time and money by avoiding more costly dental procedures.
Experience these benefits for yourself. Schedule an appointment with our office today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a good oral hygiene routine look like?
To develop a good oral hygiene routine, you will want to brush your teeth at least twice each day, paying careful attention while you do. Flossing daily is also a very important step. And always keep your routine dental appointments for professional cleanings and dental examinations as this is a vital part of the routine.
How often should a patient have a dental examination?
Dental examinations play an important role in maintaining good oral hygiene. Visiting the dentist every 6 months for a routine dental examination - and dental cleaning - can give you the greatest chance at a healthy mouth. At the very least, these appointments should be annual.
What are the signs of periodontal disease?
Signs of periodontal disease include:
- Swollen, red, inflamed gums
- Bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
- Chronic bad breath
- Receding gums
- Bite changes
Oftentimes periodontal disease can go unnoticed by a patient, meaning the disease process can be advancing without any obvious signs that a patient notices until seen by a dental professional. Gum disease can be reversed if caught early - or halted if treated. So, knowing what to look for is important.
Does a dental examination come with a professional cleaning?
When you have a professional dental cleaning, it is usually always followed up with a dental examination. But the two do not have to go together. You can schedule a visit just for a dental examination to evaluate your oral health and make a treatment plan to address any concerns.